Awards: Kristin Asai and Rebecca Guiao,Co-Chairpersons
The Awards Committee promotes the recognition and achievements of outstanding individuals, including Asian Pacific American Attorneys and OAPABA members by:
- tracking local, national and international awards,
- recommending award nominees to the Board,
- coordinating nomination packets for approved nominees, and
- maintaining a record of all nominees and award recipients.
Communication: Joshua Volvovic, Chairperson
The Communications Committee facilitates OAPABA communications by:
- communicating to the public on matters of concern APAs in Oregon through press releases and the OAPABA web site;
- liaising between OAPABA and other APA organizations on the national and local levels (NAPABA, APANO, APACC, law school APA associations, etc.); and
- publicizing the availability of OAPABA as a resource for implementing, coordinating, or supporting legal services impacting APA communities.
Advocacy: Alex Naito & Derily Bechthold, Co-Chairpersons
The Advocacy Committee advises the Board on:
- positions on matters of concern to Asian Pacific Americans in Oregon;
- filing of amicus curiae briefs;
- strategies for advancement of Asian Pacific American lawyers to positions of influence; and
- endorsing qualified judicial candidates and candidates for non-partisan appointed senior government positions.
For OAPABA’s endorsement policy and application materials, please click here.
For judicial endorsements, please use the questionnaire for the OJDC below instead of Appendix C.
OAPABA is also member of the Oregon Judicial Diversity Coalition (OJDC) which is also comprised of the Oregon Chapter of the National Bar Association, OGALLA: the LGBT Bar Association of Oregon, and the Oregon Hispanic Bar Association. You can apply to all the members of the OJDC for endorsement by clicking here and sending the completed materials to email@example.com for the OJDC’s consideration.
CLE: Liani Reeves Chairperson
OAPABA’s newest committee, the CLE Committee organizes seminars throughout the year to:
- promote Oregon APA attorneys’ career development.
Events: Robert Kim Chairperson
The Events Committee organizes and promotes a number of events throughout the year to:
- engage the participation of successful APA judges, business leaders, and other professionals to inspire APA lawyers and students,
- provide APA lawyers with networking opportunities, and
- educate the legal community about issues facing APA attorneys.
Join a Committee
If you would like to join a committee, please email the chairperson. Thank you!